Tuesday, November 29, 2011

upcycle an old sweatshirt - the final chapter

I finally finished the last new piece from my old sweatshirt!  The second slipper.  (Because what good is one slipper?)

Now that I'm done, what's left of my sweatshirt looks like it should be an old mop or something.


But the hat, mittens, and slippers are all great!  Check out my previous posts to find out how to make the hat or the mittens too.

I have to be honest and tell you up front that I'm still working out some of the bugs on the slipper pattern.  But they do fit, and they are wearable, and cute!  Just a few little glitches that I'm trying to fix.

What you'll need:

An old sweatshirt (or part of it)  (you could also just buy some fleece)
Coordinating thread
Fabric paint/ puff paint
Fabric markers (if you want to make the doggie face)
Paper and tracing paper/vellum to make the pattern pieces

Scissors
Sewing machine
Needle

1. First you'll need to trace the feet of person you're making the slippers for.

(My little monster didn't really like this part.  He doesn't really get the concept of sitting still.  So good luck!)

2. Use tracing paper/vellum to draw the two feet overlapped one on top of the other, then smooth out the shape - this will give you a more rounded shape so the slippers can be worn on either foot.

That's the inner-most line in the picture below.


3.  I wanted the slippers to be a little big so he'd have room to grow into them, so I made another line about 1/2" bigger all the way around.  Then I made the final outer line 1/2" from that one to allow for the seams.  That is the size of the final pattern piece for the sole of the slipper.

4.  Measure the length of the final pattern piece.  This measurement will be used as a base line (x) for determining the rest of the slipper measurements.  For my slipper, x = 6"

5. Next you need to make the pattern for the upper part of the slipper.
This is where it gets a little tricky and requires a little math (and a calculator if you're horrible at math like I am.)

The bottom part, where it will attach to the sole, is x + 1/2".  (So mine was 6 + 1/2" = 6.5")
The toe comes up about 1/2" no matter what size you're making (unless it's for an adult.  then you might want it a little bigger.)
The longest side, the part that goes up over the ankle, is 1.15x (Mine: 1.15 x 6 = 7")
The top, which will be the opening to put the foot in,  is 0.75x  (Mine 0.75 x 6 = 4.5")
Then come down the other side 0.75x (Mine 0.75 x 6 = 4.5")
Then just draw a diagonal line connecting from the toe to the last line.

And now the math is done!  

6.  Cut out your pieces!  I cut out two of the sole for each slipper just for added padding and durability.  You'll need two of the upper pieces for each slipper as well.


Hint: Cut out the upper pieces so that the stretch of the fabric goes in the direction of the length of the foot.  Then it will stretch better putting the slippers on and off.

For the next several steps, I'm only giving instructions for one slipper.  So don't get confused!  And don't forget to repeat and make the second slipper!  (Like I did for about a month... oops!)

7. Pin both sole pieces together, right side facing wrong side, so the soft fuzzy side will be on the inside of the slipper, and the "right" side will be on the bottom of the slipper.


8. Stitch the sole pieces together around the outside edge.


9. For each of the upper pieces of the slipper, fold the top down to meet the corner where the diagonal line begins.  This will make the finished "cuff" at the top.  Stitch it in place.

*If you want to add elastic, you can make a casing for it just above this stitch line.  This is where things got a bit tricky for me, and I'm still working on the best way to do this.  I tried a few things, and didn't love the way either of them worked, so when I come up with a really good way, I'll come edit this post!  Both ways technically worked... but were kind of a pain.  And I'm lazy.  So I'm working on the easiest way!

10. Pin right sides together of upper section of slipper, and stitch down both sides, leaving the top and bottom open.


11. With right sides together, pin the top portion to the sole of the slipper.  

I like to start with a pin at the toe and heel, and then kind of ease the rest in.  That tends to work best for the curves of the pieces.

12.  Stitch them together, and turn the slipper right side out!  


Technically, the slipper is done at this point!


13.  But, if you have exposed seams that bug you

Just use some cute bias tape to cover them up.  (I'm lazy and didn't really care.  Plus, these are just for my little man to wear around the house, and will probably be tucked up under his pant legs anyway.)  This is the other problem I'm working out with this pattern... 

14.  And if you want to make them look like little doggies, cut out four kind of rounded triangle pieces (for each slipper) for the ears.


15.  With right sides together, stitch them together around the edges, leaving the top open.  Turn them right side out.

*I actually did these wrong side out, because I liked the look of the slight contrast in the fabric.

16.  Hand stitch the tops of each ear shut, then stitch them in place on the slipper.

17.  Use a fabric marker to draw on a little nose and eyes.


18.  And to make the slippers have a little "tread," use the puff paint to make squiqqle lines, or any pattern you like, on the bottom.  It will keep them from slipping on slick floors!


19.  Repeat steps 7 - 18 for the other slipper, and you're done!


Now your little one will have warm little toes and look quite cute!  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment